[Coco] hard drive questions

Chester A. Patterson vchester at setec-cr.com
Mon Jun 12 16:00:37 EDT 2006

Hi,

I've collected some hard drives for when I get an IDE adapter. Thye have the
ubiquitous standard dual in-line 40 pin connector. They were pulled from
(I'm told) working 286 and 386 PCs.

The Conner I think is dead 'cause it sounds like it speeds up and slows
down, after 5-10 minutes it appears to settle into a fixed speed. Intel BIOS
doesn't even acknowledge its existence. The Quantum is my favorite for
eventual use with Coco but Intel BIOS returns "NOT IDE Compatible Disk"
Google search finds very little on this specific model, others similar yes.
The Seagate is RLL. I guess I need a special interface for it. Haven't
plugged it into the PC.

Quantum HD LPS270A 257mb "AT interface" 12ms  Cyl.944 (800) Hd.14 Sec.40
Seagate HD ST157A1 45mb "AT interface" RLL (2,7) Cyl.560 Hd.6 TPI.824
Conner HD CP30061 "AT interface" Type 55

How to check them? Should I toss or keep? Thanks!

/Chester Patterson