[Coco] Floppy drive/OS9 issue

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Jul 23 21:49:47 EDT 2006

Gene  mentions 80t 5.25" drives, and that they may need to be modified to use  with a CoCo controller.  3.5" 720K and even 1.44M floppy drives  work with an ordinary CoCo disk controller without modification.   The 1.44M drives only work at 720K capacity.  I've switched  entirely to 3.5" disks on my CoCos.  There's quiet a bit of wasted  capacity in RS-DOS, but if you have a DOS patched for double-sided  operation, you can at least use the back side.  In OS-9 you can  use the full 720K.

  (How hard would it be to patch DECB to add a constant value (say 40) to  the track number?  That way you could have drive 0, 1, 2, 3, be  the first 35 tracks of drive 0, side 0; drive 0, side 1; drive 1 side  0; drive 1, side 1; and drives 4, 5, 6, 7, be the corresponding  drive/side but from tracks 40-75?  That way you could squeeze the  contents of 4 CoCo disks on a single 720K floppy.)

  The 3.5" drives are probably more plentiful these days than the old  5.25" drives, and the media aren't as ancient.  One potential  problem with using 3.5" drives on the CoCo:  few of the more  recent drives have a drive select switch or jumper anymore.   They're hardwired to drive 1, because PCs have long since forgotten  that you can use more than 1 floppy, let alone 3 on the same  cable.  So if you have an old '386 lying around (and who doesn't  have about 8 or 10 of them?) you might see if you can scrounge a floppy  drive from it that still has a way to select a drive number other than  1.  Alternately you might hunt around on the circuit board to see  if there are solder pads for jumpers you can wire in.

  JCE