[Coco] 1.2 MEG DRIVES might be ot

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Mon Jul 17 10:52:26 EDT 2006

> People keep saying this, but I've been using switchable 40/80 track
> drives for about 20 years now and never encountered this problem :)

You've been very lucky, or maybe you're not doing what we think you are.

If you bulk-erase the disk first, it'll probably work. If you've got old
40-track data and write new data over it with a double-stepping 80
tracker, the half-width new track and the other remaining half of the
old track will make a mess that's not readable by another 40 track-only
drive.

I suppose if you never interchange with real 40 track drives, it will
probably work ok.