[Coco] printing out floating point numbers...(only peripherally related to coco)

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Jul 13 11:41:55 EDT 2006

Robert

It is optional for compilers and assemblers to handle more than 80
binary digits in double extended precission mode. Yes double
extended can have up to 255 bits in the mantissa, yet I don't know
of any 8 bit compiler that will h andle even double extended
precision. The need is so remote.

I  have no knowledge of Mandlebrot printing.  But I agree that 32
byte floating point numbers would take a very very long time on a
Coco att 2 MHz.. FP division of double precision at and E clock of 2
MHz would take in the neighborhood of 10 mS to do. Double
precission is an eight byte floating point number. I guess that if one
is not concerned with how fast the results are obtained then one
could do such floating point math on a 6809.

james