[Coco] printing out floating point numbers...(only peripherallyrelated to coco)

Carey Eugene carey at cebridge.net
Tue Jul 11 21:40:10 EDT 2006

>> This actually sounds like something that would be in a textbook
>> somewhere,
>> but I don't seem to be able to find it.  Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Knuth.  The art of seminumerical algorithms, vol 2 would be a good
> reference.  Chapter 4.2 would be for floating point, and chapter 4.3 is
> for
> multi-precision math.

Make that:

Knuth: The art of computer programming, vol 2: Seminumerical algorithms.   I
got in too big of a hurry typing.

Knuth is always a good place to check when you need basic computer
algorithms.

They aren't always the best.  After all, progress is always made, even in
algorithms.

They aren't always clearly written.  Probably never clearly written,
actually.  Knuth is a mathematician and he doesn't think like a programmer
and therefor tends to describe things like a mathematician, instead of a
programmer.

His examples are done using assembly language for a pseudo system.  And
what's worse... he thinks it's a good idea!  As a result, his examples tend
to get bogged down in the details rather than showing the algorithms.
Fortunately he only does smaller examples.

His books are expensive.  They make a good christmas gift, though.

Many public libraries will have a copy.  Next time you visit, you can browse
through his books and see what it has and whether you want a copy.

But in spite of that, his books are a solid reference material.