[Coco] Floppy drive problem need help

Charlie chazbeenhad at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 29 16:36:42 EDT 2006

I am having a problem with a floppy drive I purchased from Cloud-9 a while
ago. It is an ALPS Electric Co.
Model DFC222B02A. I purchased it as new old stock.

The problem is that when using a Tandy FD-502 disk controller the Alps drive
will not DSKINI under RSDOS
or boot Nitros9, when it is used with another drive on the system. When it
is used by itself it works fine.

Normally this Alps drive is my drive 0 and I have an IBM XT drive (YD-580)
as drive 1. With a Disto SCII
these drives work fine together. When I use a FD-502 the Alps will not work
as described above.

I have tried different Coco 3s, different ribbon cables, I even moved the
Alps drive to drive 1 and it acted the
same. Still the same problems. I have a Panasonic 360K drive. I tried it
with the Alps drive and had the
same problems. When I removed the Alps drive and used the Panasonic and the
IBM XT drive together everything
works fine.

So to be exact, I can't use this drive in a two drive system. With all the
swapping and testing I am able to do it can
be nothing other than the drive. What gets me is why it works with another
drive using a Disto SCII and I only have these
problems with a FD-502 controller.

The Panasonic drive belongs in my Win98 PC I use to make CoCo disks, so this
will leave my coco with a single drive.
Does anyone have ideas about what the problem is or should I start looking
for another IBM XT YD-580 and forget about
this Alps drive?

Thanks!

-Charlie