[Coco] Who's good at copying 450 CoCo disks?

Carey Eugene carey at cebridge.net
Thu Jul 6 14:33:29 EDT 2006

I've gotten several offers to help me copy the disks.  (More accurately... they are willing to do all the work for me, post the images to wherever it is CoCo disk images are put on the web, and send me a cd of the images for my own archive...  Pretty sweet deal.  A couple have even offered to pay the shipping!  Talk about tooth decay!)

Some of the disks are copy protected.  The programs may already be widely available.  I don't know.  Or they may be rare.  I don't know.  I just know that enough people objected to my throwing this stuff away that I thought I should try to make sure all the disks are saved.

But I don't know anybody in this list.  I haven't been active with the CoCo in close to 6-8 years, and then only briefly.

I don't know who to pick.  I've got too many choices.  I don't know who is actually trustworthy, competent, etc.

Oh sure, I don't expect there to be any theives or extremely disreputable people here.  This kind of a hobbiest community is usually a fairly friendly, helpful place with lots of good people.

But there are going to be some who are more qualified and competent.

I don't know who's who.

Tim Lindner has offered.  He said he's set up to make mass duplication, regardless whether the disks are copy protected or not.  And judging from a google search, he certainly seems to be qualified.  But he also said it might take up to nine months.  That's a looong time.

Andrew said he could do it.  I assume he can handle the copy protected disks.

Richard Ivey has offered.

Ken Carlin has also offered.  He says he even has a special controller card that can read about anything and some software by Carl England for copying disks, so he should be able to handle everything.

And a few others, but they haven't mentioned anything about being able to handle the copy protected disks.

I'm not trying to be insulting to anybody.  I'm glad people are willing to help.

I'm just not active enough in here to know who's the best choice.

I was leaning towards one  particular person, but Tim Lindner's message brought up an interesting point, when he said "I'd like to think I have a good reputation on the CoCo List, so that is the place to ask for references."

If he hadn't said that, I probably wouldn't have even thought about it and already picked somebody.  But that's given me some doubts.

If Tim just hadn't said that, I would have already picked one particular person and I wouldn't be having these doubts and hesitations.

So, I figured I'd take his advice and ask in here...

Who do you think could do the best job?

And yes, I know... you are probably going to say "They all can!"  [grin]

Carey