[Coco] [color computer] Just imagining...

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 15:36:20 EST 2006

jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
> Phil

Phill << Note spelling :)

> The glue logic using the BA/BS/TSC lines should not be that dififcult to
> recreate.

Possibly if you where doing a new design from scratch....tracing the
damn thing when you are working from scans of the (bare) board, is an
intresting (and as yet incomplete) experience.

>	A second processor with its own rom and ram can beconfigured as
> an I/O processor or any coprocessor.

That is true, though the interesting thing with the Beta, is that both
CPUs shared the same ROM/RAM, the DMA processor just basically sat
halted or in a loop transfering data.

Though I guess the thing that complicated this case was the MMU
implemented in LS+a few pals+some static ram. Guess if you where doing
it now, you could get away with just the major chips a couple of
CPLDs/FPGAs, and do it in less than 20 chips :) (I'm asuming you don't
want to bury the whole thing in a big expensive FPGA).

Phill.