[Coco] [color computer] Just imagining...

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 13:37:09 EST 2006

Mike Pepe wrote:
> jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
> Understood, but I was thinking of one CPU to handle the OS, and then
> driver-level stuff to offload to the others. One CPU could handle all
> the graphics, one could be configured as a DMA or handle I/O. I've done
> some preliminary feasability studies on the idea, and with some sub-50ns
> SRAM or SDRAM it just might work...

This is basically what the Dragon Beta did, used one 68B09 to do all the
processing and another to handle the I/O. Both sat on the same bus and
had some logic to abitrate that seems to have been based around using
BS.BA and the TSC lines. Because the machine was not fully developed at
the time Dragon went under, the second CPU really only ever got used as
a disk DMA processor. Would have been a really cool machine back in
1984, but expensive too :)

Phill.