[Coco] Top 20 Most Used BASIC Commands

James Jones jamesjones01 at mchsi.com
Mon Jan 30 05:13:02 EST 2006

Mannequin* wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is a poll to see what people believe are the 20 most used BASIC
> (whatever version) commands _in a program_ there are. This also includes
> functions like MID$, LEFT$, RIGHT$, etc.
>
> It's been way too long since I've programmed anything in BASIC, so I'll
> throw out some of the ones that I know that I used frequently:
>
> CLS
> IF / THEN / ELSE
> FOR / NEXT
> GOTO
> GOSUB
> INPUT
> DIM
> CLEAR
> MID$
> LEFT$
> RIGHT$
> INKEY$
> RND
> STRING$
> LEN
> CHR$
> RETURN
> PRINT
> LOCATE
> ATTR
>
> I'll be posting this question as well in the Coco3.com forums, if anyone
> is interested.
>
> -M.

If most BASICs didn't let one omit it, the most common statement would
certainly be LET.

In any case, why speculate when one can calculate? It shouldn't be too
hard to write a tokenizer for BASIC and feed it a lot of listings. If it
emits tokens one per line, just pipe the results through

sort | uniq -c | sort -n -k 1,1

and there you have it.

	James