[Coco] Re: OT -- Texas and highway laws in general

Frederick D Provoncha elderpav at juno.com
Sun Jan 29 23:35:01 EST 2006

> The main reason many other countries have better drivers in general
> is because the driving age is higher, and the requirements are
> stricter. No formal education, not even a high school class, is
> required to get a license in the US -- it is in Japan, Korea, and
> most of Europe. When a moron teaches his kid to drive, guess what
> you get? Another moron on the road! Yeah, I taught my kid, tried to
> do it right. So far so good -- she's a more careful driver than
> either me or my wife.
>
> --
> Frank Swygert

Perhaps, but Americans are by far not the worst drivers. I know a lot of
people who have been to various third-world countries and the horror
stories I've heard are amazing. My wife has been to Uruguay and down
there people don't use their headlights at all, even when it's totally
pitch-dark out. They don't seem to mind running the significant risk of
hitting an unseen child or an animal or a rock or a tree in order to save
a little bit of money on gas.

Fred Provoncha
Stansbury Park, UT