[Coco] Re: OT -- Texas and highway laws in general

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Sun Jan 29 22:24:47 EST 2006

You have a valid point Richard, because most of our interstates are asphalt. But the other countries do have large trucks on the roads. Because of the greater distances we have over here, and the big clear roads between cities, the trucks are usually bigger. Korea uses a lot of four and five axle single unit trucks 30-35' long. I met a salesperson for Freightliner, of all things, during one of my plane trips. I mentioned the four and five axle trucks because they are pretty impressive, and why weren't they used over here. She stated they had investigated that design, but turns out it isn't as fuel efficient for long hauls or the way the trucking industry is structured over here. When you can drive a country coast to coast in three hours and full length in about eight, it's not so efficient to do things the way we do, haul eight hours with one trailer, go back to home base with another. The Koreans can usually go, unload, load, and go back with no problems. I remember plenty of the big Hino trucks in Japan too -- as big as any over here. Again, few tractor trailers, many large single unit trucks. The single units maneuver a little better too. They had two front axles -- neat watching them turn! Of course both front wheels have slightly different arcs, enough you can tell! Single wheels on both front axles, duals on two of the rear axles. When there was a third axle in the rear it usually had singles on it.

The Korean interstates aren't chewed up because they are 100% concrete -- no asphalt. They are also all relatively new, the earliest were built in the mid 80s, not late 50s like ours. But you should see the loads on some of those trucks -- many appeared to be way overloaded! Traffic on most of the Korean peninsula is horrendous on major holidays. It normally took a little over na hour to get to Seoul from Osan AB. A friend and I went one Sunday morning with no problem, but getting back that night took nearly four hours! It had been a Korean national holiday, and everyone was returning home. Those roads carry more volume than most do over here. And I won't even start discussing Japan and traffic volume! It might take hundreds of cars to put the wear and tear one big rig puts on a road, but the volume is there...

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent

Message: 1