[Coco] Portal09 help, new project...

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Mon Jan 23 14:24:43 EST 2006

Rumor has it that Robert Gault may have mentioned these words:
>You have three choices in testing/correcting imgtool interaction with
>Portal-9. 1) Move the copy of imgtool that came with MESS to the Portal-9
>directory Tools.

This is speculation, but as imgtool is barfing on the --ftype flag saying
that that flag exists, I doubt this would fix the problem; especially as
everything else works fine.

>  2) Try a different disk type with Portal-9. See, for example, if
> coco_jvc_rsdos work better when building a project.

I did try that, it didn't help. I either got the same error, or it would
abend with "Format Not Recognized." (I'm paraphrasing, Portal-9 is at home,
and I'm at work right now - but it basically said that it didn't support
that particular type of disk format. Maybe the maintainers of M.E.S.S. have
gotten rid of some 'cruft' in the imgtool utility? It did seem like there
might be some "duplication of effort" with some of their flags....)

>  3) Try the current version of Portal-9 if you don't have the most recent.

I only downloaded it yesterday - I'm guessing 3.1 is the latest? ;-)

Altho you did forget #4:

4) Download a slightly older version of M.E.S.S. and see if *that* imgtool
works fine with Portal-9....

... which is what I'm going to try tonite. Hopefully there's not been any
changes so drastic [[ i.e. differences in the disk image format, etc. ]]
that an older version of imgtool won't work with the newer M.E.S.S.

If you don't mind my asking: Roger, what version of M.E.S.S. are you
running? That might give me a heads-up on which version to download & test...

=-=-=-=-=

Also, it looks like the current sequence of events with multiple assembly
programs in a project is:
         1) assemble
         2) copy .bin to virtual disk
         3) assemble next program
         4) copy next .bin to virual disk
         etc....

I've found that if imgtool barfs, only the first program in a project gets
built. Would it not be more logical to assemble all the projects first,
than imgtool 'em over - that way, if imgtool barfs, then one can still put
all the .bin files in the virtual disk by hand (which is what I was doing
to test my code)?

Just a few random thoughts... Altho despite the minor glitches I'm having
with it so far, I *really* like it. ;-) Thank goodness my wife doesn't know
about the PayPal account... ;^>

Thanks,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger  --  SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
zmerch at 30below.com

Hi! I am a .signature virus.  Copy me into your .signature to join in!