[Coco] Portal09 help, new project...

Roger Taylor roger at newfoal.com
Mon Jan 23 14:08:17 EST 2006

At 10:46 PM 1/22/2006, you wrote:

>One thing I noticed is that Portal-9 does *not* like to be installed
>anywhere than where it defaults to - Being a geek, I have a multitude of
>drives on my system, my primary 'classic' data drive being I:. I even
>eschewed my tendency to want to install it way down deep in my CoCoStuff
>directory, and just left it at i:\Portal-9. It didn't like that at all.
>Even going into all the path settings and changing them 'round, some
>things still didn't work (like a lot of the Help functions).

So clicking on 'Options -> Paths and Folders' doesn't let you change your
paths to various folders?  Also, I think by deleting your .ini file and
rerunning the app may correct the problem.  I developed Portal-9 on my D
drive so I know it can be set to run on any drive letter other than C, but
I also told the IDE to NOT delete your old .ini file, which could be
causing this problem... it's hard to see what's happening right now.  Also,
Portal-9 is designed to be installed only once.  If you want to "install"
it on another drive on the same computer, just copy the entire Portal-9
root directory to the new drive, I suppose, then edit your .ini file so
that all references to C: are I: ?

>>...and won't end up on a .dsk as well like they should.
>
>But they're not... Those in control of M.E.S.S. must have changed
>something with imgtool, as this snipped from READOUT shows:
>
>imgtool put coco_dmk_rsdos "Disks\Newtest1.dsk" "Files\newprg.bin"
>--ftype=binary --ascii=binary
>--ftype: Unrecognized option

Ok, I'll try to summarize what might be happening.  But first, always
download the latest version of Portal-9 from www.coco3.com, which comes
with a version of imgtool.exe that works for that version of the IDE.  Note
that the imgtool.exe that I bundle is an exact copy of a recent extraction
from a M.E.S.S. install on my system, so you should have a legitimate
perfectly-good copy of imgtool.exe as compiled by the author.  Now, whether
he made changes to his command switches *again* is beyond me.  Let's hope
he didn't.

The version of imgtool.exe that is installed with the IDE might not be the
latest version bundled with M.E.S.S.  So to solve this problem, Portal-9
allows you to point to the copy of imgtool.exe that you want to use.  Go to
Options -> M.E.S.S. Emulator.  On top of that, you get to choose from some
older imgtool.exe settings as well as the new ones.

For instance, the following disk formats were removed from imgtool.exe
sometime last year or earlier:

coco_rsdos_jvc
coco_rsdos_dmk
coco_rsdos_vdk

They were replaced with:

coco_jvc_rsdos
coco_dmk_rsdos
coco_vdk_rsdos

All 6 options are selectable from Portal-9, just in case you're "MESS"ing
around with an older version of imgtool.exe somehow.

--
Roger Taylor