[Coco] ADOS-3 (was: 26-3029 floppy disk controller.

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Tue Jan 17 20:30:30 EST 2006

Rumor has it that Arthur Flexser may have mentioned these words:
>On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Mike Pepe wrote:
>
> > As a side note, a CoCo 1 or 2 has 16K of external ROM space. A CoCo 3
> > can have 8,16,or 32K. By default, however, the address range $E000-$FDFF
> > is used by the "super" basic, leaving 8K for external ROM.
> >
> > I suppose this means that it's not possible to use a 16K 3rd-party disk
> > BASIC ROM on a CoCo 3.
>
>It certainly is possible, as anyone who has used Extended ADOS-3 can attest.
>Super Extended Basic is temporarily switched out of the map whenever it is
>necessary to access ROM addresses in the $E000-FEFF range.
>
>Art

Art,

What is the availability of Extended ADOS-3 & how much does it cost?

It's one of those things I'd always wanted back when I had no money and now
that I'm [1] getting back into the CoCo (looking for a desk for the CoCo3 &
CM8 right now...) it's something I'd really be interested in.

I have an EPROM burner & (I hope) a controller that can handle a 16K
image... altho one Disto Mini-Controller I have won't boot at all with a
ROM installed... odd. :-/

To the list:  Will an FD502 take a 16K ROM? IIRC, it was the only RS
controller that could take a 27c64 28-pin chip, but I don't know what it
would take to get a 27c128 shoehorned into one...

Thanks,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | A new truth in advertising slogan
SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers | for MicroSoft: "We're not the oxy...