[Coco] [Color Computer] OT: list inconsistencies, was: Re: Prototype CoCo 3

James Dessart james at skwirl.ca
Sun Jan 15 17:47:54 EST 2006

On 15-Jan-06, at 4:54 PM, Mike Pepe wrote:

> I seem to be missing part of this thread.
>
> This seems to happen on this ML quite often- what's going on?

You're probably accessing the list through the Yahoo Groups side of
things. There are two mailing lists, the Yahoo one and another,
hosted by Dennis Bathory-Kitsz. The Yahoo list gets mirrored to the
other, but not the other way around. It's possible that messages
don't always make their way to you, since some people use the other
list as the destination, when replying to messages from folks on the
Yahoo list.

The thing is, anyone on Dennis' list gets mails with the Reply-To set
to Dennis' list, even when the mail comes from a Yahoo user. Reply to
all mirrors the message for users on that list, since it goes once
through the list (from the Reply-To), and once through the Yahoo
Group (Because the To field contains the address for the yahoo
group). So people don't tend to use Reply to all. A more elegant
solution would be nice, but unfortunately no one has been able to
figure a decent one out.

The current solution is for Dennis' listers to always post to the
Yahoo Group address, but then they'd have to get Yahoo accounts and
join the group there, which some people are reticent about. There
have been lengthy discussion in the past about this. Another solution
is for all the Yahoo Group folks to migrate to Dennis' list, but
again, there are some who prefer a web interface.

To compound matters, I believe Dennis' list is also mirrored at
GMane, a set of news servers, so that the list can be monitored using
newsgroup software.

There have been many arguments about all of it. They sometimes span
weeks, or months. I imagine some of this should be in an FAQ
somewhere. What FAQ, I don't know, that in itself should probably be
in the FAQ too. ;)

--
James Dessart
<http://skwirl.net/blog/>