[Coco] CC vers Make

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jan 15 11:08:02 EST 2006

On Sunday 15 January 2006 10:50, John Donaldson wrote:
>  I was wondering what was more common among those of us that program
> in C. Do you use a interface like CC or CC2 to compile all your
> programs or do you use MAKE.
>When I had my MM/1 and had converted RIBBS to KRIBBS, I used MAKE all
> the time since I was dealing with muti-modules per program and CC or
> CC2 if I am only
>dealing with a single program.
>  I put echo statements in my MAKE so I could tell what it was doing.
> I notice that CC
>does this automaticly but CC2 doesn't.
>
>John Donaldson

I think this is a matter of personal taste John, and I've used both.
Our coco Make is a bit long in the tooth nowadays but it does have some
interesting tools that cc etc don't have.

OTOH, cc isn't limited to one file at a time by any means, you could 'cc
foo.c -ofoo' and do a perfectly legal compile if foo.c was nothing more
than a list of includes:

#include foo.h
#include bar.c
#include baz.c
etc

I actually prefer this latter style because its simpler to keep track of
than a Makefile thats semi-intelligent.  But, if a piece of code comes
along with a Makefile, I won't throw it away either.

Did you get that .dsk I sent, with c.prep and cc311.lzh in it?

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: