[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Floppy contoler Q

david_g21120 david_g21120 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 15 10:01:25 EST 2006

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, Phill Harvey-Smith
<dragon at a...> wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday 14 January 2006 23:25, Phill Harvey-Smith wrote:
> >> This infers that this signal can also be used to select the 4th
drive,
> >> however I'm unsure of the way this could be done.
> >
> > Yes, however, this is assuming all 4 drives are single sided.
Also the
> > drive might have to be programmed for motor on on selection.
>
> So if you have 1..3 drives then Side select is exactly that ? But
if you
> have 4 drives they have to be single sided ?
>
> > It also required a jumper to be soldered onto the 4th drive to
take it
> > to a valid drive select signal on the drive with the other 3
jumpers or
> > switches set open.
>
> Yeah that makes sense.
>
> >> It may be possible
> >> that the Tandy drives had some off board circuitry that
somehowe did
> >> this (or a non standard cable), since I have never actually
seen one,
> >> I do not know.
> >
> > Their off board circuitry consisted of removing the connections
from the
> > card edge connectors and twisting the cable such that for the
first 2
> > drives, both were programmed to be (IIRC) drive 0 (unlike the pc
drives
> > that were all drive 1).
>
> But the same idea none the less, I use a similar twist (pins 10 &
12
> IIRC), to undo the bodge and let me use 2xPC 1.44s (as 720) on my
> CoCo/Dragon.
>
> >			  It simplified things for the assemblers,
but
> > made life difficult for us, so we usually installed, or soldered
the
> > jumpers to assign the drive number on each drive, and then put
fully
> > populated connectors on the drive cable.
>
> Yeah that figures, in other words we use things the way they where
> designed, with a full cable and jumpers.
I have used 4 floppy drives with RDSOS in a RS and J/M controller
with 4 drives on a CoCo3 without an issue all of the drives were
used with the jumpers for drive select, two of them were the FD502
DSDD floppy drives, under OS9(wich I use most of the time) I was
accessing all of the drives as DSDD drives. The FD502 drives from
Tandy/RadioShack had the correct jumpers on them. Under RSDOS the
drives were 0, 1, 2, 3 accessed as SSDD. Under OS-
9 /d0, /d1, /d2, /d3 accessed as DSDD.

> >> In case anyone wonders what I'm up to, I'm trying to port
SuperDos (A
> >> Dragon dos enhancement), to use the RS-Dos hardware, as I
figure this
> >> way an RS-Dos cartrage could be used with the Dragon (either the
> >> British one or the Tano).
> >
> > I'd suspect that using the 1773 chip in a rsdos controller might
require
> > a software hack to superdos to compensate for the hard wired
side
> > select signal in the shack & clones controllers.
>
> And difference in read/write sector commands, IIRC the 1773/1793
encode
> the sector sizes slightly differently, and this affects the exact
format
> of the command ($80 on rs, $88 on Dragon for read sec etc).
>
> Yeah I have it disassembled, and am working on it that way with
> conditional assembly I can build for Dragon, Dragon
Alpha/Professional &
>   hopefully RS-DOS. At the moment it seems to be reading sectors
ok,
> just from the wrong side of the disk !
>
> Phill.

Yahoo! Groups Links