[Coco] [Color Computer] Floppy contoler Q

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jan 15 00:15:27 EST 2006

On Saturday 14 January 2006 23:47, Robert Gault wrote:
>Bit6 $FF40 is used by Tandy for drive select 3. However, the
> connection of this bit to the ribbon cable results in it also being a
> side select.
>
>When single sided drives are used, bit0=drive0, bit1=drive1,
>bit2=drive2, and bit6=drive3. With double sided drives and without any
>hardware changes to the controller or ribbon cable, bit0=drive0,
>bit1=drive1, and bit6= side select.
>
>You might think that 3 double sided drives could be used because bit6
>could be combined with any of the three bits 0, 1, or 2 resulting in
> 0, 1, 2, $40, $41, or $42. Unfortunately, the controller does not
> permit that because $00 turns off the drives. That leaves you with 1,
> $41, 2, and $42 or two double sided drives. You can however, have two
> double sided drives and one single sided drive at the same time with
> the third drive selected with $40.

Thats not entirely true Robert.  I've been running 3 double sided floppy
drives on my coco's for nearly 20 years.  Os9 does this correctly at
least, I don't know about DEB and clones as I don't run them.  All I
did was put fully populated connectors on my cables.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: