[Coco] C Programming in General

Mannequin* mannslists at invigorated.org
Thu Jan 12 23:50:01 EST 2006

Alan Jones wrote:
> Has anyone else here tried the Mix Power C compiler?
> It is a shareware program.
> http://www.mixsoftware.com/product/powerc.htm

I recommend a variation of the GCC compiler, of course. :)

> I have tried to learn C several times but I always give up
> after a while. I am thinking about giving it another shot.
> How do you guys stay motivated?
>
> I used to have a nice tutorial from the Waite Group and
> I was about 70% through the course, but I lost my software due
> to a computer crash (I didn't backup my software!).
> The book and tutorial was called "Master C".
> Has anyone else ever seen it? It was a C tutorial
> program written for DOS.

I used a few books, but I think the best book is "The C Programming
Language" from the guys who wrote C. I'm still using it to this day to
remember the syntax of the standard functions, etc.

Other than that, it's hard to say which would be a good place to start.
A simple question for books _about learning ANSI C_ in the newsgroup,
"comp.lang.c", might be a good place to start.  They only deal with ANSI
C, so if you ask anything off topic, they get kinda snooty. :) (Consider
yourself warned!)

HTH
-M.