[Coco] S-video Prospects...

John Kowalski sock at axess.com
Sat Jan 7 23:59:08 EST 2006

At 07:09 PM 07/01/2006 -0800, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
>The CoCo generates both fields to be the same, or is it just generating one
>of the fields?

The CoCo's video is a little different than the standard interlaced NTSC
video.  Instead of alternating two interlaced fields, it simply repeats a
complete non-interlaced frame each field.
The reason for the visible gap between scan lines is because the TV/monitor
recognizes that the video is not interlaced, and therefore does not shift
the scan lines up & down in position each alternating field.

The result is simply a non-interlaced 60Hz 263 line display instead of a
30Hz 525 line display.  All 8-bit computers and video game consoles were
this way, as are today's "TV game" toys.

>My TV seems to reduce this effect which is good.
>
>In looking at your pictures, to my eyes they seem to be very present.

The difference is that I wasn't using a TV.  My photos are actually of an
Amiga monitor which has a fine dot pitch.  TVs have a wider beam, so the
black gaps between scan lines will be less noticeable than in my case.

                                         John Kowalski (Sock Master)
                                         http://www.axess.com/twilight/sock/