[Coco] rs-232 to cat5 convertor

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jan 5 13:44:26 EST 2006

On Thursday 05 January 2006 13:17, Paul T. Barton wrote:
>Yes, that doesn't work, I tried it too.
>Just click on "PRODUCTS" at top of page.
>
>I have a manual here but the pictures on the
>site and this module don't match.
>What I have is a double stacked board set.
>The bottom board has the RJ45 connector, power
>jack (really mini), reset switch and console switch.
>To which this board plugs into... (eeewwww bad english)

And the way the link to the gw21s-mini reads, your board must be
plugged into another board that furnishes the balun, rj45 connector
and such.  I did a quick scan of the rest of that category but didn't
hit anything that looked like a good candidate.

>They give examples for programming in VisualBasic.

Do they appear to offer it already programmed to translate ethernet 10
(0)baseT to rs-232 with complete handshaking and flow controls in our
favorite flavor, aka 7 wire?  Or is such 'firmware' extra cost, up to
the customer to write or what?

Since the rs-232 is ttl level, that eliminates the 1487-1488 quad of
chips and should interface more or less directly to our ACIA.  Nice,
and saves a tenner right there.

Priceing, availability in 10sies in case you were thinking of making
one of these?  I have a pl2303 cable, but handshaking appears to be
non-existant.  I can type back and forth, but file transfers bomb.
Even at 300 baud.

The one thing that puts it into an MPI only, or external wall wart psu
is that it needs 5 volts at a hair over a hundred mils, more than can
be safely extracted from a coco I think.  Otherwise it looks like a
great idea.