[Coco] IDE development

Roger Taylor roger at newfoal.com
Fri Jan 20 22:16:57 EST 2006

Just a note to the Portal-9 users and those interested in the upcoming
Rainbow IDE (universal vintage IDE)...

I am currently researching how to output audio to the default Windows sound
device so that I can add the CoCo cassette transfer feature to my
IDEs.  I'm not sure if the CASOUT.EXE program works for Windows XP or not
so I am looking to avoid integrating that tool if I can.  Anybody have
exerience with that utility?

With this feature the user will be able to use a CoCo cassette cable
plugged into their PC's sound card Audio Out to CLOADM their programs from
the IDE into their CoCo's for real-world testing.  Ofcourse, the IDEs use
M.E.S.S. to emulate your programs, so the cassette-out feature will be more
useful for just getting your programs over to the CoCo for normal storage
on media, etc.

The Rainbow IDE is coming along well and should be ready for an initial
release within a week or two.  My current work is in the area of assembler
recognition and configuration, and I am also trying to engineer the
software so that I (or you) can add compilers and other source code
processors with minimal effort.  Such compilers could easily be C, Pascal,
Fortran, etc. which means I cannot limit the structure of the software to
just handling assembly builds.  Instead, project files call on their
"Source Code Processor" to do what needs to be done to produce the output
object.

--
Roger Taylor