[Coco] MESS Emulator

John Donaldson johnadonaldson at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 26 13:08:30 EST 2006

True, but most of the emulators are written to work under MSDOS not
windows.
Under MSDOS, you can access the floppy. DSKINI and RETREIVE both work with
the floppy to make/format a COCO OS9 disk and RETRIEVE will copy a OS9
disk to
a DSK. It should have been a snap to intergrate the same code into the
JV/JC emulator.
IMHO, this would have made it more like a REAL COCO. Allowing one to
easly move
disks and files back and forth between the Diskette and a  DSK file.
DSKINI and
RETRIEVE don't work under XP, so you still have to use either MSDOS or WIN98
under the DOS mode anyway. even Kriel's emulator which DOES give you floppy
access doesn't work correctly under XP. Under the next release of the MS
OS's even
these will problely stop working.
  If I understood MSDOS assembly well, I would try and get the source to
the JC/JV
emulators and correct the floppy code to correctly read a 360K or 720K
floppy as
a real COCO drive.

John Donaldson