[Coco] Re: Radio Shack CEO Resigns

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Feb 22 18:56:22 EST 2006

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 06:55, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>> George's Coco Address wrote:
>>
>> RS should probably should look back into its past and retake that
>> direction adapted to current times.
>
>Tandy Leather????

Yup, there was that originally.  I was a bit surprised when the Tandy
Leather shop in Rapid City suddenly blossomed into what was, at the
time, the best electronics junkyard you could imagine over the next 2-3
years.  This was circa 1964 or 5 IIRC.

The coco was another step in what I would call the right direction, and
had a new computer been designed along the lines of say the amiga 500,
and given the expandable options that blossomed all over the world for
it and it's big box kin, that decade of amiga driven dominance of video
production might never have happened.  Had that been marketed at the
same time as the amiga, I think todays computing environment would
definitely have a different flavor.  And 3 more generations of machine
design later, eventually switching from moto to ppc chips, and it would
be moto/ibm/ppc instead of intel/amd running much of todays machinery.

But, instead of plowing the coco profits back into R&D for the next
model, the bean counters instead milked it till it went dry, like any
cow will do eventually if not bred and freshened.  Cash cows are not
that much diffferent...  But them city bred MBA's will never admit this
old farm boy could have been right.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: