OT : loadm & execute (was) Re: [Coco] Re: 6309 bitmd instruction

James Hrubik jimhrubik at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 21 08:21:58 EST 2006

But it's not just the fear of the language, David, it's what the
language represents.  Language is the expression of culture; it is
also the unifier of national spirit ( patriotism -- that dreaded
disease of people proud of their heritage ).  There were good and bad
things that were attached to both Spanish and English as the two
cultures arrived on the continent.  There were hundreds of native
languages that were replaced, with their attending cultures.  Our
legal system, which underpins our freedoms, essentially followed the
development of the English language; if you look closely, you see the
parallels.  The breakdown of our legal system accelerated with the
advent of the cultural breakdown of the late 60's and early 70's,
when it became more important to blame everyone else for a person's
problems than to look at the person himself as a possible
contributor.  A whole new language was evolving -- many Amerenglish
words do not mean the same thing today that they did 50 years ago.
It's a fascinating study, and as we become more "multi-cultural", we
can expect to lose more of our freedoms.  The saddest part is, the
current generation has no reference point to look back and see what
was lost.  I fully empathize with Sitting Bull.

Maybe we should all speak C.  It might cause us to be more logical in
our approach to problems.

On Feb 21, 2006, at 12:29 AM, David Macias wrote:

> All this fear of assimilating another language and culture makes me
> laugh. I look in the mirror and see the descendent of Native
> Americans,
> yet I do not speak any native language.  I speak the languages of my
> first conquer (Spanish) and that of my second conqueror (English).  It
> does not hurt to speak either language.  Your grandchildren will
> get use
> to it.

-----Items below rated "R"; parental discretion advised----
"Brilliant minds, like productive gardens, flourish under the
influence of bullshit."
  From the sayings of Grampa Jim, Copyright 2006.
Unauthorized use of my stuff may cause senility.