[Coco] I/O Magic USB DataStation with 3.5" Drive

Jim Cox jimcox at miba51.com
Mon Feb 20 01:31:54 EST 2006

I just picked up an I/O Magic USB DataStation with a 3.5"
drive that is supposed to be compatable with both 720K and
1.44M 3.5 Floppies.

It's only USB 1.1, but that should be OK since the system
I plan on using it with is an older system with Windows 98
and most of my older systems have USB 1.1 built in.  From
what I remember reading here on the list, Win 98 is the
best version of Windows to for CoCo development (something
to do with DOS)

Anyways, since the I/O Magic DataStation is a USB device,
I am wondering if it will work if I build up the Win 98
system with both 3.5" and 5.25" floppies installed
internally?  I plan to use an older 720K only drive and a
360K drive in the PC so I can copy .dsk images on to disks
that can be read from a CoCo.

This USB 3.5 would be used if I needed a 1.44M disk, or
one of the seven cards that it can read.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

-Jim