[Coco] Re: I said *word* *processors*!!!

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Feb 14 22:26:40 EST 2006

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 22:05, Ward Griffiths wrote:
>On 02/14/2006 09:49 pm, Roger Taylor wrote:

>> >Not yet. Are you taking orders again?

>> >Not if it is just an editor and doesn't do any formating itself,
>> > and that's what your site seems to say. A word processor is
>> > supposed to edit text and get
>> >it ready to print. There should be no need for a seperate
>> > formatting program.
>>
>> I think Vanderpoel might have designed the print formatter so that
>> other editors could use it.  Hopefully VED uses the print filter
>> seamlessly.
>
>Personally, I prefer that my editor and formatter be separate
> programs.  When I am creating text, I don't want to be deluged with
> all of the special features of a "modern" over-integrated "word
> processor", and I _especially_ don't want any WYSIWYG nonsense.  85%
> of my text editing time is spent in some version or clone of vi and
> 10% is done on a Model 100.  When I've got my text created, _then_
> it's time to pretty it up.  At work, that unfortunately means sucking
> my text into Word.  At home, I have a lot more choices.  If it's
> nothing fancy, TRS-80 Model II Scripsit 2.0 is a good one.  Or TeX.
> Or best of all, Prosoft's Allwrite! on my Model 4.  That last is a
> program I'd love to see an equivalent to on OS-9, but I'm not the
> programmer to do it. Is there anything close to nroff/troff available
> for OS-9?  I haven't checked the archives lately.

It seems to me that I can recall fooling with a troff once, couldn't
make it work very well at the time, probably because I didn't know what
I was doing, and it (on a level one box) crashed a lot.  Then I did the
last few releases of pf, and didn't touch a troff till I was running an
amiga.  And it wasn't that good so I compiled pf to run on the amiga.
I have an intense dislike for a text formatter that breaks words apart
arbitrarily because its reached the 80th character of the current line.
AFAIK, even linux uses it to display manpages yet, so its come a long
way in the last 40 some years.

>Yes, I often create text on a completely different platform than the
> one I'll use to print it.  (I hate PC keyboards -- my AT&T 7300 has
> the best keyboard in the house).  Null modems and I are old and close
> friends.

I have an old, solid metal cased, clickity IBM keyboard that I revert to
occasionally till the missus fusses about the clickity keeping her
awake.  Great keyboard, I think its actually a Northgate in IBM
grey/tan dress.  Unbreakable, keytops shot all the way thru.  This $45
M$ keyboard I'm using ATM has half the letters worn off the keys
because they aren't shot all the way thru & its only a year old. :(

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: