[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] 68881/68882 & the CoCo

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Feb 8 17:47:32 EST 2006

On Wednesday 08 February 2006 17:26, Alex Evans wrote:
>On Feb 8, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Mike Pepe wrote:
>> Gene, sounds like you're on my wavelength.
>>
>> I'm not sure how practical this is, but the bus interface seems
>> straightforward, though completely emulating the 68020 co-processor
>> protocol would be difficult-- but probably not necessary.
>>
>> I'm just curious to see if it can be done. It may prove to be an
>> interesting experiment to see how much faster the FPU is than the
>> math library.
>
>Quite a number of years ago, there was someone on the listserv who
>had claimed to have connected a 68881 to his CoCo.  Supposedly there
>is an 8-bit mode for it (I guess so that you can attach it to a
>60008), and even a simpler mapping mode than the normal 68020 mode.

Now thats an even better idea.  The interfaceing should be even simpler,
even if it is slower by an half an order of magnitude.  I don't suppose
you recall the name of this person Alex?  No use re-inventing the wheel
if theres a known good model for a pattern.  Next Q though, can 68881's
still be had?  Pretty jurassic.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: