[Coco] Re: Help needed: problems with RETRIEV(E)ing DSK images

Torsten Dittel Torsten at Dittel.info
Mon Feb 6 13:31:20 EST 2006

> Tape closed the disk hole/notch that indicates HD media. Why copy sector
> by sector? That should not be necessary.

Err... has the 5.25" floppy disk any hole/notch to indicate HD media?
The 3.5" surely has. I wonder what happens if I use "flippy" disks with
additional Write Protect notch and Index Holes punched in so I can use
the second site by "flipping" the floppy around. However, if the 5.25"
HD media has, my CoCo drives won't check it anyway, they are too old to
have heart of HD media.

> BACKUP may seem to use tracks but it actually divides memory into tracks
> and then fills that memory sector by sector. The only Coco command that
> uses tracks is DSKINI where a track is written in one pass. All other
> commands are sector chunks.

OK, thanks, didn't remember exactly because I wrote so many BACKUP tools
20 years ago (might find my "CerCompCopy" in these days, guess what this
does... :-). Bill V., If you read this: I wrote this just for
educational purposes).

> > Aren't the MESS tools able to grab a DSK image in JV format?
> Yes.

Do they have the same problem concerning sector 1? Or are they using a
"track read" and do the sector ripping by software?

Regards, Torsten