[Coco] Re: Hello!

Richard E. Crislip rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Sun Feb 5 04:33:03 EST 2006

Hello Donald

Well you are the second person to stumble across us this week. Welcome! If
you live close to the Chicago/Elgin area, we will be having the a CoCoFest
where you can buy all that stuff in one day, with no nasty bidding 8-).
UNless of course you choose to take part in our auction at the end of the
day ;-). The fest will be held April 29 & 30th. Wish I could remember the club's
URL, be if you are interested, I a sure someone on this list will enlighten
you. Again, welcome.

On 02/04/2006, Donald Person wrote:
> Hello all!
>     I'm new to the list (Just found it last night & signed up today)
>     and I wanted to introduce myself.  Like most of you I got my start
>     in computers with the CoCo line of computers.  My very first
>     computer experience was with a TRS-80 Model 4 in school, however at
>     home my first computer was my beloved CoCo 2!  I had with my coco2
>     (trying to do this from memory) CoCo2 Extended Disk Basic (64k)
>     Disk controller w/ 2 5.25 floppy drives
>     Cassette (of course)
>     Multi-Pak interface
>     RS-232 Interface with an external 300baud modem (woosh I was a
>     speed demon!) DMP-110 (I think was the model number)  Dot matrix
>     Printer A number of cassette and cart games
>     And a great number of books which I read thoroughly many many times
>     over ;-)
>
>     My CoCo was my introduction to computers and to programming. I
>     remember it like it was yesterday, Christmas 1983 and I opened up
>     my CoCo and flipped out!  My entire Christmas vacation was all
>     about playing and learning on this new computer. Back then you had
>     to work for every little thing you did with your computer. (No
>     point and click!!)  So I spent hours PEEKing and POKEing around the
>     computer, documenting what everything did. I loved it, and the
>     books that came with it did SUCH a wonderful job teahing you how to
>     program (in BASIC of course)  -- They just don't make 'em like that
>     anymore. Anyhow - Over time I had a CoCo2, a TRS-80 Model 1, Model
>     4 and a 1000HX.. Now adays of course those computers are all
>     ancient, but nothing can ever replace the "feeling" I got when I
>     learned something new with my CoCo. Unfortunately I no longer have
>     any of those old computers, but would LOVE to own a CoCo again. At
>     some point I'm gonna hit Ebay and try to get all my old stuff back
>     -- I'd like the kids to learn about computers the way I did.. No
>     point and click, no "easy" way to do things...  I think it's a much
>     better way to learn about computer basics. Anyhow, sorry for the
>     long post but I wanted to just say Hi & I'm happy to see I'm not
>     the only CoCo lover out there :-)
>
> -Don Person

Regards
--
Cruising on AutoPilot                        |
        With an Amiga           ---o-o-O-o-o---  and a CoCo