[Coco] The Lucky CoCoNut

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Wed Feb 22 22:08:37 EST 2006

With all kidding aside, there is a very lucky CoCoNut among us today...

This morning, I was on my way to work on Interstate 20 and I had a bad
accident.  It was raining so I was doing 60-65 instead of the usual 70
through this area and also watching the bridges for ice.  I later learned
it was not cold enough for ice, but the slick roads were just as dangerous
for vehicles with balding tires.  My back tires have been overinflated so
the center surface was pretty slick.

When I came off of one of the bridges I noticed my truck fishtailing to the
left just maybe a few inches.  It was small but noticeable.  I let off of
the gas and kept the wheel straight to see if I was ok, but the truck
fishtailed again in the other direction a tad.  At this point I knew I was
probably hydroplaning but I didn't know what move to make next to keep from
overcorrecting. The truck kept sliding back and forth at the rear until it
got out of control and I started sliding off of the road, still doing
65.  I was not about to steer towards the treeline at my speed.   When I
knew I was bound for the trees across the ditch I braced for death.  I
extended my arms out tight and dropped my head and started yelling No. When
I hit the steep ditch my truck started flipping end over end.  The rear of
the truck came up and over and I rolled this way until I slammed into the
trees.

When I was rolling, I remember thinking just for a second "I'm about to
die, here it comes".  There is no way to describe it but the picture is
stuck in my head like it is still happening.  I impacted very hard and the
truck came to a rest back on 4 wheels.  At this point I thought I was
dead.  But the first instinct besides asking yourself are you really alive
or dead is to get out of the truck quick in case a fire starts and you get
trapped.  So I beat the door open and jumped out.  I used my cel to dial 911.

People, I walked away from this accident and I was not wearing a seat
belt.  I normally do, but for some reason I forgot to put it on.  The truck
was still running and my wipers were going, headlights on, etc. when the
trooper and ambulance showed up.  I was in the E.R. from 4:30am to 8:30am
doing xrays and the usual.  They sent me home with some prescriptions for
pain but I haven't taken anything yet and I've been walking around trying
to keep soreness from setting in.  But tonight I have a feeling it's gonna
get me while I'm sleeping, so I'm going to take my medicine and hope I can
get up and walk in the morning.  So, there won't be any CoCo work today or
tomorrow most likely.

People, drive safe, wear your seat belts, and keep good tires on your vehicle.

--
Roger Taylor