[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 30, Issue 31

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sat Feb 11 20:01:48 EST 2006

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:04:54 -0800
> From: "Jim Cox" <jimcox at miba51.com>
> Subject: [Coco] CoCo robotics? (Rhetorical test to the list :)
> To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>
> To follow up Art's test to the list, I'll ask a rhetorical
> question just get a resonse;
>
> Is anyone out there currently doing anything closely
> related to robotics with the CoCo?
>
> I have a small robot arm that I was thinking of hooking up
> one day and playing around with, but as with many of my
> ideas/plans/goals, it will be some time before it happens.

What kind of robot arm is it? This is very important to know. If it is
DC motor-based (not DC stepper motors), then you are going to need a
different approach than if it is stepper based. Furthermore, if it is an
old Tomy/Radio Shack Armatron arm - then you are in for a real treat (I
say that sarcasticly).

Regardless, you need a way to interface the motors (and/or any sensors -
are you wanting a simple open-loop design, or do you envision a
closed-loop feedback system?). Some people (in the past - there were a
few Rainbow articles on this back in the day) would interface via the
cartridge port. This can be tricky to do today, since you would either
have to cannabalize a drive controller cartridge or etch your own edge
connector. Then, you need a pinout of the port pins, and information on
how to properly interface and control them (addressing, hex buffers, etc).

It would be easier to get an RS-232 pack, or somehow hack the bit-banger
serial port - and connect that (via a cable) to a BASIC Stamp or PIC, or
to a dedicated serial-port to relay/stepper controller. These
controllers aren't hugely expensive (still pricey, but not the major
expense they used to cost - demand for such systems in hobby robotics
has driven the cost down greatly over the years). Expect to pay around
$200.00, maybe more, maybe less. If you handy with a soldering iron and
know your electronics, it would probably be easier and cheaper to build
something using a BASIC Stamp and/or PIC.

This would then interface to your relays, motors and/or sensors. If you
are using regular DC motors, then you will need to use either relays,
power transistors, MOSFETs, etc - to drive the motors in an H-bridge
fashion (to control direction). You might want to add pulse-width
modulation (PWM) for speed control, but it isn't critical for a simple
toy arm (and can be simulated to some degree with software). Remember
that whatever H-bridge scheme you use, use one where if you drive both
bits high or low which control the relays/transistors in the H-bridge,
you won't short the power-supply. This is critical!

If you are using steppers, then you are going to need to set up stepper
driver circuitry (generally a few darlington drivers or dedicated
stepper control ICs) properly - to handle the current and voltage load.
Proper heat-sinking and cooling may be critical here, depending on the
size of the steppers being used.

Now - if you are using an old Armatron (Tomy or Radio Shack - though I
implore you - if you have a Tomy arm, please don't take it apart, as
they are more collectable to collectors as part of the Tomy robot toy
line - but if it is the later Radio Shack version which Tomy licensed,
go for it!), there are a few sore spots:

Both Tomy and Radio Shack sold robot arms. Tomy had the Tomy Armatron in
the early 1980's (despite what you see, the Armatron isn't from the
1970's), and then licensed the manufacturing to Radio Shack in the
mid-late 1980's, which Radio Shack sold as the Radio Shack Armatron.
Later, RS came out with their own model (or licensed it from some other
company - not Tomy) called the "Super Armatron" which had a controllable
wheeled base (and looked nothing like the original Armatron). Then,
still later, RS dropped that model, and released the original model of
the Tomy Armatron they were licensed, but labeled it the "Super
Armatron". So, you had the following:

1) Original Tomy Armatron
2) RS-licensed Armatron (identical to 1, above)
3) RS-licensed Super Armatron (wheeled base, no relationship to 1 or 2)
4) RS-licensed Super Armatron (identical to 1 and 2 above, but named
differently)

With this in mind, you need to realize that Armatrons 1, 2 and 4 are
fundamently different from the Armatron described in 3. The Super
Armatron that RS released (#3), was based on multiple continuous
rotation DC motors. Most toy robot arms (OWI and others as well) are
built and controlled in this manner.

The original Tomy Armatron (and the two licensed RS arms as noted) are
unique in toy history (actually, many of Tomy's devices, especially the
various 1980's table-top "arcade" games, are like this). These devices
are what some consider "wonders of mechanical engineering", which is why
the original Tomy stuff is so collectable to those in the know. This is
also why the Tomy Armatron (and others) are so difficult to convert to
computer control, unfortunately.

You see, these arms use a *single* motor to control all functions of the
arm!!! Via a complex transmission system, all motions of the arm are
controlled and powered by a single DC motor. These motions are
controlled by the user via the two joysticks on the base of the arm,
which have eight directions each (although, IIRC, only 6 of these
directions control independent functions), along with rotation of the
joystick handles (one controls wrist rotation, the other gripper
movement), to control all 5 axes of the arm, along with the gripper
function. The joysticks operate levers which shift the transmission
(similar to an automobile), which is powered by the single motor, to
transmit power from it to a variety of shafts which are connected to the
arm via a series of ring gears in the base, which then transfer the
power via a complex arrangement of bevel and spur gears up and through
the arm, all the way to the gripper (it is a VERY ingenious design,
coupled with a nice cam-based clutch system that prevents the arm from
being destroyed when the motions are at their limits).

Tomy did similar systems like this for most of their toys (especially
the games, as noted) - they were marvels of complex mechanical
ingenuity, which is what makes the original Tomy toys so collectible.
You will not find similar engineering in toys today. They are really
something to marvel at, especially if you like to take things apart (and
put back together, of course). Tomy toys are like the world's most
complex mechanical jigsaw puzzly. I swear, they are the 1980's version
of 15th and 16th century doll automata.

The problem with this system, while being very ingenious, is that it is
very difficult to control the Armatron with a computer. A few approached
can be used in this endevour, though, to various levels of success.

The simplest method involves controlling the joysticks directly,
typically with motors or solenoid actuators. This has been desribed in a
few texts over the years, and some have tried it to varying levels of
success. The biggest issues with this approach the the amount of current
used by the actuators, as well as proper control the rotation of the
joysticks to control the wrist rotation and gripper function, while
still being able to control everything else. The best way to approach
this is to arrange four solenoids (minus the return spring, or with a
weaker return spring) around the joystick, opposing pairs in a push-pull
arrangement, connected mechanically to the joystick via springs (to
allow diagonal movement). If you arrange the pairs properly, you can
stagger them in such a way so that opposing pairs, when both are
actuated, actually "twist" the joystick in one direction, while the
other pair twist in the other. Otherwise, you will need a rotary
solenoid or motor to perform this function.

The next hardest method involves connecting the input levers (controlled
by the joysticks) to actuators like solenoids and such. In effect, you
are replacing the joysticks. This is a more difficult approach, as it
involves dismantling the base to get to the levers, but it is a possible
method.

The final method is to replace the transmission system altogether with 6
independent motors, then control the motors as usual. Depending on your
level of skill, this can be the best option to persue. It was originally
described in an issue of Radio-Electronics (now defunct?) in the 1980's,
where the author described modifying the arm to allow this, and then
building an interface board to allow hookup of the arm to a C-64 or
Vic-20 computer (so it should be possible to hook it up to a CoCo via
the cartridge port or a serial interface system). The methods described
in the article can be used as is, or as a guide for the other methods
described above.

Fortunately for you, if you are using an Armatron and want to explore
these routes - I have scanned the article in and have it on my website
for download here:

http://www.phoenixgarage.org/index.pl?cat=tomy&page=articles

It is a ZIP file which you can unzip and then view the scans with your
browser or another viewer. Please note that in the future the above link
may not work. In that case, just go to my website directly, and browse
around or email me, as I will always host the file somewhere because I
like the article so much (unless the publisher tells me to remove it, of
course).

I hope this information helps you, and good luck with your project,
whenever you decide to pursue it (and if you get it working - please, by
all means, show us the pictures!)...

-- Andrew