[Coco] Hello!

Donald Person persond at nycap.rr.com
Sat Feb 4 12:21:57 EST 2006

Hello all!
    I'm new to the list (Just found it last night & signed up today) and I wanted to introduce myself.  Like most of you I got my start in computers with the CoCo line of computers.  My very first computer experience was with a TRS-80 Model 4 in school, however at home my first computer was my beloved CoCo 2!  I had with my coco2 (trying to do this from memory)
    CoCo2 Extended Disk Basic (64k)
    Disk controller w/ 2 5.25 floppy drives
    Cassette (of course)
    Multi-Pak interface
    RS-232 Interface with an external 300baud modem (woosh I was a speed demon!)
    DMP-110 (I think was the model number)  Dot matrix Printer
    A number of cassette and cart games
    And a great number of books which I read thoroughly many many times over ;-)

    My CoCo was my introduction to computers and to programming. I remember it like it was yesterday, Christmas 1983 and I opened up my CoCo and flipped out!  My entire Christmas vacation was all about playing and learning on this new computer. Back then you had to work for every little thing you did with your computer. (No point and click!!)  So I spent hours PEEKing and POKEing around the computer, documenting what everything did. I loved it, and the books that came with it did SUCH a wonderful job teahing you how to program (in BASIC of course)  -- They just don't make 'em like that anymore.
    Anyhow - Over time I had a CoCo2, a TRS-80 Model 1, Model 4 and a 1000HX.. Now adays of course those computers are all ancient, but nothing can ever replace the "feeling" I got when I learned something new with my CoCo. Unfortunately I no longer have any of those old computers, but would LOVE to own a CoCo again. At some point I'm gonna hit Ebay and try to get all my old stuff back -- I'd like the kids to learn about computers the way I did.. No point and click, no "easy" way to do things...  I think it's a much better way to learn about computer basics.
    Anyhow, sorry for the long post but I wanted to just say Hi & I'm happy to see I'm not the only CoCo lover out there :-)

-Don Person