[Coco] legal to copy coco software ?

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Tue Dec 26 21:25:30 EST 2006

While it's not technically legal to copy and exchange "orphaned" software, there's no reason not to. As long as no one is complaining, and there is no legal way to get the software, I personally have no problem with it. That's why I released all the stuff I had rights to to the public domain several years after it was no longer feasible to market it. I wish others would have the foresight to do so rather then force the "survivors" who still like to use/play with the CoCo (nad other old computers) to contemplate such things.

The issue really becomes a legal technicality and a moral issue as long as no one complains. Even if an author didn't want their work copied, all they can really do is have a "cease and desist" order given. They COULD sue, but would have to pay a lawyer to do so. They CAN'T sue for damages unless they can prove a loss in some form. Since there are no loses, especially not enough to pay court bills, there's little chance of being sued -- although there is still a small chance. I suppose a judge could fine you anyway, but if a complaintant can't prove any damages, I don't think a judge would fine anyone -- maybe order to pay court costs and discontinue. But stranger things have happened in US courts.

Copy among yourselves and share software. I don't think there will be any problems.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"