[Coco] OT: Most dangerous toys

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 14 18:13:35 EST 2006

Jim Cox wrote:
> I came across this at digg.com
>
> http://www.radarmagazine.com/features/2006/12/toys.php
>
> While most of the stuff is pretty lame, I thought #2 The
> Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab had the most geek appeal:
>
> http://www.radarmagazine.com/features/2006/12/gilbert_u238_atomic_energy_lab.php

Besides U-238 is actually not that dangerous, providing you don't ingest
it, the Alpha particles it emits won't make it through your skin....

You may have some U-238 already, if you have something made out of
(light) green glass, try shining a UV light at it, if it glows green it
contains Uranium, I have some candlesticks that glown nicely :)

Also most people these days will have something much more active in
their house, as most smoke detectors contain a tiny amount of Am-241

Cheers.

Phill.