[Coco] Interesting Ebay find.

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 12 18:54:04 EST 2006

Glen VanDenBiggelaar wrote:
> Very interesting indeed. I wonder if Tandy UK used up the remaining  white
> shells before the CoCo 2 shells were fully into production, or they had some
> problems with the PAL components at first fitting into a CoCo 2 shell.

That is indeed possible, though the two standard CoCo 2 machines that I
have don't have any patch boards on (as one of my 1s does), so I asume
by that point they'd got the PAL / NTSC down to alternate components.

Actually on this board there are some alternate component places that
are not filled round near the video circuit, I sorta assumed that these
would be filled on an NTSC machine.

SO could be that they had a big pile of white cases :)

> guess we will never find out. Interesting trace wire there also.

Yeah goes from pin 40 on the 6822, to pin 17 on the custom, I god
curious and scoped it, seems to be the exact inverse of the HS pulse
from the 6847, which is odd, because in the CoCo Tech ref manual it
seems to be a direct connection.

> (I can never get the photos of bottom labels to come out that nice even with
> my $1500 camera).

Heheh those are the three best, you should see some of the others, I
never had a perticually steady camera hand :(

>	Thanks Phil,

Phill :)

>			If I ever have a moment to update the site, I
> will add this info to it.

Feel free to use the piccies if you want also.

So would people say that it was probably worth leaving this one as it
is, generally I would upgrade to 64K and install ECB, the RAM upgrade
just seems to be changing some solder links and swapping the RAM chips
(being carefull to check the voltage rails *BEFORE* installing the 64K
rams.....). The ECB upgrade would have to be an eprom on a patch board,
as I don't have an ECB rom :(

Cheers.

Phill.