[Coco] Dates for 2007 CoCoFest?

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Sun Dec 3 11:11:47 EST 2006

I want to point out something (and I hope the Glenside folks are
reading this) that will probably start a fire on this list.  But
hell, somebody has to say it.

Why on earth is there not an up to date web page announcing the dates
for the 2007 CoCoFest?  I posted this message 24 hours ago because I
could not find the dates anywhere (searching Google with muliple
criteria).  I seem to recall a message stating that it will be in
March of next year, a bit earlier than usual, but I cannot find that
original message or source.

March is 5 months away, and the web page for Glenside (http://
members.aol.com/clubbbs/glenside/) still has the dates for the 2006
fest.

Now I've lamented the fact that fest attendance is down over the
years, and so have others.  I think the biggest impediment to that is
Glenside themselves, and this dated web page is some proof of that.
What the CoCoFest has become over the past few years is a family
reunion of sorts and more of a reminiscent gathering of old friends.
Nothing wrong with that, but it seems that Glenside is doing little
to promote the fest to the CoCo community, and nothing to get the
message out to a broader audience.  Man they could promote the fest
on a number of venues (digg.com comes to mind) but it seems that the
PR machine at Glenside is content with posting the occasional WHAT
WHEN WHERE message to this list.

Go to www.cocofest.com and you'll see a web site for a CoCoNut
festival.  Come on!  That should be a domain for the COCOFEST!
Domain name are $10 and with domain forwarding it is easy to point a
name to another web site.  Just little things like that could
increase visibility, but it seems to me that nothing is getting done
to promote the fest.

I know that Glenside is a volunteer group and I fully expect to get
an earful of how little time they have, why don't I step up and to it
myself, etc.   The bottom line is: if Glenside folks don't have the
time to do the promotion then they should find someone who can take
over that side of things, or get out of the fest business
altogether.  PROMOTE THE DAMN THING!  Nick Marentes stepped up some
months ago on this list and offered to do the whole glitz and
promotion for the fest, and as far as I know, Glenside hasn't taken
him up on his offer.  If you look at how Nick did the 2000 PennFest,
it was pretty impressive.
--
Boisy G. Pitre
337.781.3570 mobile
email: boisy at boisypitre.com
Website: www.boisypitre.com

"If there is truth to the proposition that knowing the past helps us
to understand the present, I believe there is at least as much truth
to the proposition that what we know of the present is crucial to our
understanding of the past.  What we have not ourselves experienced or
observed we can at most only partially and imperfectly comprehend;
and I suspect that there is much in history that is so remote from
our own experiences or observations as to be largely beyond our
understanding." - Kenneth M. Stamp