[Coco] Program Wanted (no more BBS's!!??)

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Wed Dec 27 20:21:16 EST 2006

Doesn't have to be a sad day, nor no more BBS's. The internet is faster, but I bet if you had a real BBS running on its own phone line you'd have people calling all day. With flat rate long distance, calling from across the country wouldn't be a problem at all! Someone should do that... would certainly be interesting once the word got out. Have one or two of those old multi-player on-line games up and running where you're only allowed to come in and make one or two moves a day. Would sure be nostalgic, and isn't that the rage today?

The only problem I can see is dusting off the modem! I don't have a phone line in my house, and probably won't ever again. Well, it's there, but no phone service. I've got cable internet and already pay for cell phones... who needs a land line? It was cheaper for me to add some minutes rather than to install a phone. I suppose one of the internet phone programs would work, but they are generally designed to work with a microphone. Shouldn't be hard to create a program that will emulate a modem and place the call over a broadband connection -- for a programmer who knows about such tings!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"