[Coco] Is the 6309 worth it?

Leon Howell puritan_2076 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 4 13:07:50 EST 2006

I've heard the 6309 only makes the CoCo 15% faster. I've heard it makes some
things up to 10 times as fast. What does it make 10 times as fast, and would I
really notice the improvement? I've heard NitrOS-9/6309 is about twice as
fast, but I have NitrOS-9/6809, and it seems at least twice as fast as OS-9.

I've also heard the 6309 is very rare and very sensitive to static, etc., and
of course I would have to cut out my 6809 to avoid destroying my motherboard
(my soldering skills stink) but I was thinking of installing a double speed
upgrade, so I'll have to do that anyway. I just don't want to spent all that
time and money installing a new os and a chip that will go up in smoke the
first time the cat walks by. It seems like a 32 mhz clock crystal (2.0/4.0
mhz) would do the same thing, and be less sensitive, but what about
compatibility?