[Coco] scan documents and turn into pdf

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Thu Aug 31 07:26:06 EDT 2006

Diego Barizo wrote:
> Mike Pepe wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I will turn these into PDFs. Currently they're a bunch of 600 dpi b&w
>> tiffs.
>>
>> For those of  you who have done this before, any comments? should I
>> resample them down to 300dpi, for example?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> -Mike
>>
> If I might ask. Why as PDFs instead of JPGs ? Or other graphic format?
> Also, AFAIK changing the DPI after scanning does not alter the image,
> that's information used for the printer, and does not change the file size.
>
> Diego

Diego, you ever see a 400 page jpeg of text? :)

Jpeg is a lossy format intended for continuous tone images, not books.
PDF is a document format.

If I resample the 600dpi images down 50%, it reduces the size just fine.
In fact I think it looks a little better because the process smooths out
the edges a bit by changing them to shades of grey.

-Mike