[Coco] Re: What it is

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Tue Aug 29 11:32:48 EDT 2006

To answer a couple of questions:

I would think to hook up a serial mouse to the RS-232 pak, you would use
one of the 25 pin to 9 pin adaptors - of course, there may be a problem
here, because IIRC, the port on a PC is a male, and the port on the
RS-232 pak is a female - so you would either need to find a male 25 pin
to female 9 pin adaptor (do they even exist?), piggy back a male-to-male
25 pin adaptor before the 25 to 9 pin, or remove the 25 pin female
header on the RS-232 pak and replace it with a male one. Alternatively,
you could possibly add a 9 pin male connector onto the RS-232 pak and
some kind of selector switch, piggy backing it to the 25 pin. As someone
else mentioned, you could also piggyback an extra UART on (if you can
still find a compatible chip), which I think is ultimately the best long
term solution, but it is also a solution which takes the most time to
implement and test.

As far as where to get a serial mouse new, they are getting difficult to
find. Sometimes they can be found online through ebay or surplus resell
houses (all electronics, computer geeks, and others). On the rare
occasion they can be found new (manufacturers in china still make them,
but they are rarely imported and sold here in the USA due to USB being
more popular).

Your best bet, though, is to look at the used market, specifically at
surplus and thrift stores. I have found nice 2 and 3 button serial mice
at Goodwill. Take them home, open them up, take them apart and clean
*everything* inside and out, and you will end up with a very nice mouse
in the end.

Something also to note is that some of the ps/2 mice came with a ps/2 to
serial adaptor (back when serial and ps/2 mice were wrangling before,
much like the adaptors for ps/2 that come with USB mice today - if they
still do?) - you might be able to modify a ps/2 mouse to work as a
serial mouse - I am sure more information on this sort of mod for the PC
can be found in some dark recess of the internet if you look hard enough.

--- Andrew L. Ayers
     Glendale (Phoenix), Arizona