[Coco] Proto CoCo

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 28 16:03:40 EDT 2006

jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
> On 28 Aug 2006 at 14:34, Roger Merchberger wrote:
>
>> That's one of the main things that's been stopping me from a pet project I
>> started about 5 years ago... The other thing was drilling *all* those
>> holes for a fair amount of TTL to do the buffering/latching/address
>> decoding for.

You could of course use a CPLD for some of this, I tend to use Xilinx
XC9572s for this sort of thing, plus you can do address decoding &
latching inside them also :)

> Who drills holes?????

Well you would have to for some things on the CoCo, as the expansion
connector is double sided, so some signals will be on the wrong side of
the board :)

> SMT is the way to go!!!!

Possibly, though through hole does have the advantage that it can be
socketed, and so if you screw up your board (as I have done a couple of
times :) )then it's easy to re-use components :)

Also some of the old chips that people are playing with are only
available in through hole :(

Phill.