[Coco] Re: What it is, and Hi-Res Interface Musings - was RE: What's this?

Christopher Hawks chawks at dls.net
Sun Aug 27 21:52:48 EDT 2006

Andrew wrote:
> Thought I would post my own reply on this...
>
> Like everyone else said, it is a high-resolution joystick interface
> adaptor, which plugs into the cassette and joystick port, then a single
> joystick plugs into the other end, etc (like everyone else said).
[...]
> One of them was "made" and sold by HAWKSoft. I put "made" in quotes
> because I have it here in front of me, and one side of the case has
> "TANDY" on it, and on the other side is a printed label for HAWKSoft,
> reading "HAWKSoft Dual Hi-Res Joystick Adapter" - underneath the label,
> the original Radio Shack label is visible.
>
> On one end is the two cables to plug into the joystick and cassette
> ports. On the other end is the port to plug in the joystick or mouse
> (indeed, using one of these with the dual-button mouse is a dream). Here
> is where it gets interesting, and is likely why it is "rebadged" by
> HAWKSoft: On one side of the adaptor is a 4-pin DIN plug - I don't have
> my manual to this adaptor handy, so I don't know what this is for. On
> the side where the cables are, are three switchs. One, in the middle of
> the case (between the cables) is a simple slide switch - this may be a
> standard switch (ie, found on the RS adaptor as well), or it may have
> been added. The other two switches are round lever toggles, which do not
> appear on the standard RS adaptor. If I remember correctly, the toggles
> are for using it with different programs, and the slide switch is for
> bypassing the interface. Ultimately, it looks like this adaptor is a
> modified version of the standard Tandy interface.
>
> I just rummaged thru my boxes of stuff, seeing if I could find the
> manual, and all I could come up with was some hand written notes I had
> made myself. I tend to wonder if it came with a manual at all. I have
> never thrown away any of my CoCo stuff, and I found many other manuals
> from the same time period (15-20 years ago), like my CM-8 manual and
> many others. Anyhow, I figure that if there was a manual, why would I
> have hand written notes? Anyhow, my scrawled notes read that if you have
> both toggle up, it is for "ColorWare (CoCo Max)", both down is Low-Res.
> If the "left" one is up and the "right" one is down (looking toward the
> switches, TANDY logo UP and HAWKSoft label down), then that is the
> "Tandy" mode. No idea what the opposite is for (if anything). Also, the
> port on the side is a passthru port for the cassette interface, and the
> slide switch is an enable/disable for the adaptor - on is to the right,
> so when the switch is in this position, the adaptor is usable, otherwise
> the cassette interface is used.

	The slide switch turns off power to the adapter. Some Cocos cannot
reach a 63 reading whle supplying power to the adapter in lo-res mode.
The cassetteinterface is available in the ColoWare and lo-res modes. If
the left switch is down you get the lo-res mode regardless of the right
switch.

--
Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft