[Color Computer] [coco] Learning MW C

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 14 10:49:49 EDT 2006

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at ...>
wrote:

> On Sunday 13 August 2006 19:26, George's Coco Address wrote:
>
> I tried to reply to you, but it appears there's no way to pick your
address
> out of the posting, George, so this goes to the list.
>
> What I'm gonna say isn't really kosher on the coco lists, but that
speed is
> the biggest single reason I'm going to go out on a limb and tell you to
> find a suitable box to run linux on, something with at least a 400 mhz
> cpu, 256megs or more memory, and at least an old 4GB or larger hard
drive
> and a working parallel port.

Not Kosher?  I wouldn't say that.  We all like the CoCo but we won't
ever claim it will out benchmark a PC over 10MHz.  It did pretty well
against an 8MHz 8088 but that's about it.

I will say that if he want's to write his own software it might be
more comfortable for him to do it on the CoCo.  He could always move
the code to a PC later if he uses 'C'.  Can't do that with Basic09.

>  With a monitor you can look at comfortably,
> and if that mobo has builtin video, disable it in favor of an after
market
> el-cheapo nvidia card.  The problem is the onboard video tends to shoot
> the machine in the heart when trying to do realtime work, the offboard
> card won't.

Well... that depends on what you are doing, how fast the PC is and
what video mode you use.
I have integrated video on one of my machines and it has side port
video RAM so you don't see a performance hit unless you do heavy 3D.

Yahoo! Groups Links