[Coco] FDD 26pin to 34pin (pic attached)

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 8 18:10:54 EDT 2006

(sorry for directly attaching the pic here, but I'm in a hurry)

OK, here's the 26 pin deal...

I acquired a 26 pin IDC connector from a PC Parallel port connector, carefully removed from it's ribbon cable. Prepare your CoCo floppy cable with a bare end waiting for a new connector...

>From the 34 pin cable, line up pin 7 to pin 1 of the 26 pin connector. This should make pin 32 line up to pin 26 of the 26 pin connector. Go ahead and crimp it on.

Wires 1-6, 33 and 34 can be cut off somewhere before the connector.Lines 11 thru 15 also need to be cut out. I removed about an inch of those wires from the mid section.

The trickiest part is to separate the 5V lines at the floppy end. Remember that Controller pin 7 is going to Floppy pin 1, so I am shifting my wire references to the floppy end of the cable now. Separate wires 1,3 and 5 (FDC lines 7,9 and 11). Cut them a few inches from the connector so they no longer connect to the Controller, connect them together and feed +5v into the drive from this combined line.

This is all it takes for the basic configuration. I also intercepted the Side Select and DS0/DS1 lines for my two switches.

HTH,
Bob