[Coco] [Color Computer] Hex codes to change Coco 2 colors to any of Coco 3's

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Apr 29 17:48:52 EDT 2006

I don't think there is any generic method for doing what you want as it
will depend on whether the game uses artifact colors or standard PMODE colors.

The screen mode for PMODE graphics is controlled by $FF22 and the I/O
paired bytes from $FFC0-$FFC5. If you find a section of code sending
information to these bytes, you can try a technique I developed for
modifying the MarkData games for the Coco3. Info is on the MarkData site
and part of it follows:

* RESET INITIALIZATION

* USE TO REPLACE SAM PMODE SETUP WITH
* GIME "ARTIFACT" MODE SETUP

  LDA #$4C  COCO3 MODE
  STA $FF90  TELL GIME
  LDD #$8009  GRAPHICS MODE @ 128X192X4
  STA $FF98  TELL GIME
  STB $FF99  TELL GIME
  CLRA
  STA $FF9A  BLACK BORDER
  STA $FF9C  REMOVE ANY VERTICAL SCROLL
  LDD #$F080  POINT TO GRAPHICS SCREEN AT $78400; USE LOCATION/8
  STD $FF9D  TELL GIME
  LDD #9     BLACK & BLUE
  STD $FFB0  PALETTE 0&1
  LDD #$243F RED & WHITE