[Coco] Re: Feedback on Quality Requested

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Thu Apr 27 18:37:28 EDT 2006

Micheal,

One really can't make any comparisons between the djvu and jpg images as
they are not of the same pages. With that caveat, both seem adequate for
the job although the moire patterns on p3 of the djvu are very bad. It
would be nice to know if they were introduced by the scanner or djvu process.

Since the project will be sold at about $60-$70 dollars, seems to me the
main issue should be what will be the quality of the magazines to be
scanned. Based on the djvu demo, the quality of the magazines will be more
important than the processes used to acquire and store the images. Paying
$60 for images of damaged magazines is food for thought.

DJVU offers the ability to search for information within documents and for
that alone would be superior to jpg for this project. Given that DVD disks
could be used to store the project, compression ability does not seem much
of an issue. There are other formats that might be as good or better than djvu.