[Coco] CoCoFest weblink and chat availability

Roger Taylor webmaster at coco3.com
Mon Apr 24 18:59:45 EDT 2006

At 04:00 PM 4/24/2006, you wrote:
>  replies:
>
>Good on ya Roger.
>Why is it that every year the idea of setting up a chat link or webcam at
>the fest happens in the last remaining days of the fest?

Good question.  If they're anything like me they wait til the last minute
for everything.  :)  I think also unless they've had experience running a
simple FTP webcam that it might seem like something too complex to do.

I have several web site clients running 24/7 webcams, one for several years
now and one for over a year, so I have experience in this area although I
don't claim to be an expert.  One of my cams is streaming to a rebroadcast
server that requires an ActiveX control/program to be downloaded by the
browser to download and view the stream.  The image appears in the web page
like any other image.  Another cam is using the CoffeeCup WebCam software
to FTP the images to the client's web site every 20 seconds.  The web
site's cam page knows how to refresh the image without refreshing the whole
page, using JavaScript.  It's a rather simple concept.

Ofcourse, some type of video capture device has to be used along with the
webcam.  For laptops, a USB video capture "card" or unit works great.  It's
just a little box with a USB plug on one end and a few RCA jacks on the
other end.  Most have audio capabilities, but that will probably require
Windows Media Encoder or some other stream creater.  WME is free.  If this
person decides to use WME, I will try to figure out a way to serve the
stream to many viewers at one time through a server I have access to.  I
can't make any promises there, though.  I would much rather somebody else
offer a streaming server for the weekend that we can tell WME to stream to
and then I can tell CoCo3.com to tell your web browser to view that
stream.  :)  If somebody is setting up an account like this I would guess
that 100 viewers at a time would be more than enough, but I don't know?

--
Roger Taylor