[Coco] CF Hard Drives (was: 1000sx update

Chris Hawks chawks at dls.net
Thu Apr 20 20:56:31 EDT 2006

---Reply to mail from Roger Merchberger about [Coco] CF Hard Drives (was: 1000sx update

> Rumor has it that Gene Heskett may have mentioned these words:

>> >Heh, OK.  It's a fast MFM drive, if that's not a complete
>> > contradiction in terms. ;-)
>>
>>Well, in terms of a coco's speed, its still supersonic. :)
>
> Then the 256Meg Compact Flash I'm currently tinkering with on my CoCo
> w/SuperIDE must be "Warp 9." ;-)
>
> Still working on getting HDB-DOS & whatnot setup - Easter left me little
> time to tinker. I'm thinking of heading over to
> "Make-Sams-Kids-Richer*Mart" and see what a second 256Meg CF will cost.
> Hopefully very cheap. Then once I get one chip set up, I want to see if
> DD'ing the critter over to the other one will make a "flawless" backup.
> Then I could backup my entire CoCo's drive system in a matter of minutes on
> a Linux box.

    That's how I keep mine backed up!

dd if=/dev/sda of=/wine/flash4.dsk

    And you can use the toolshed utilites on it.

os9 copy rgb2svideo.gif /wine/flash4.dsk,rgb2svideo.gif

Simple to add or get files from the CF!!

---End reply

Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft
Any research done on how to efficiently use computers has been long lost
in the mad rush to upgrade systems to do things that aren't needed by
people who don't understand what they are really supposed to do with them.
    -- Graham Reed, in a.s.r.